- Purbeck Stone is taken from Limestone beds.
- Quarried from the Isle of Purbeck in Dorset.
- Sedimentary stone that has different beds. Each bed has different density of patterns of shells and fossils.
- Purbeck stone is similar to Portland Stone
- Has been quarried since Roman Times.Purbeck Grub from the Lovell Quarry.
- It is quarried in blocks and manufactured into different forms.
- Generally used as smaller blocks for walls.
- Can be manufactured into thinner pieces for flooring, door and window jams.
- Possible to change this use into a cladding method – as is the precedent with Portland Stone.