Today’s studio session encompassed a trip to the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum in Sussex to look at a variety of traditional building techniques. On the train journey down I had a tutorial session with Takeshi and Simon with respect to Studio Brief 1 [Site Section] and Brief 2 [Precedent Study + Fragment]
- Trees currently appear cartoonish. More anatomical study and drawing of trees required.
- Structure of tree and branches to depict canopy rather than silhouette.
- Look up horticultural drawings.
- Winter Trees
- Evergreen trees differentiated?
- Instead of thick black section line include ground conditions. e.g topsoil, cobbles, paving, grass etc.
- Outlines of background trees could work.
- Hedge at bottom doesn’t look correct. Maybe not needed to draw it in.
- Internal spaces of buildings.
- Important to show differences between internal spaces of Coombehurst house and Studio.
- 1:50 of Coombehurst house facing the lawn.
- Annotations and Dimension
- Cars / Bus / Bike stand for scale.
- Look promising.
- Bike Rack especially strong.
- Pick a pair of photos
Precedent and Fragment:
- Use concrete at 1:1 instead of 1:5 scale
- Make a section of the wall, that the entire wall
- Experiment with membrane and holes in formwork
- Use strapping to create patterns.
- Frame with membrane and strapping on one side
- Focus on the making of the stone tiles
- Splitting stone